- Defend, Deny, Delete vs. Listen, Engage, Respond
- Develop social media policy
- Tell a story - Use member experiences
- Organize new members
- Notify members of events
- Encourage dialogue with elected officials
- Build relationships
- Use photos and video to make content visually appealing
Social Media Networks
- AFL-CIO Digital Strategies Training - The AFL-CIO runs regular web-based training sessions that can be joined remotely from anywhere.
- Communications Training from AFGE - Engaging in online social media activism.
- Social Media for Unions - Principles of social media and how to best put them into practice by Alex White.
- Social Media Guide - Training resources from IATSE on how to use Facebook and Twitter.
- Gilmore Social Media - 14 Ways Unions Are Using Twitter #Labor
- Nonprofit Tech for Good - A Social & Mobile Media Blog for Nonprofits
- Slideshare: Social Media for Labor Unions - How Labor Unions can leverage Social Media to engage members, impact contract negotiations and create content that shapes public opinion and drives mainstream media coverage
- Wellstone Communications Tools - Wellstone now houses the New Organizing Institute, a group that helped folks use “digital tools” (email, social media, text messages, etc) for organizing purposes.
- Rutgers University Libraries - Social Media for Unions - Companion guide for SMLR Workshop, Social Media Workshop for Labor Activists. This guide will also be useful to labor groups at the first (or second) step towards developing a social media strategy.
- Beth’s Blog - How Networked Nonprofits Leverage Networks and Data for Social Change